Bedugul and Ulun Danu Tour
Ulun Danu Temple is a unique Hindu temple set on the beautiful lake of Beratan surrounded by the hills and cool temperature. It is located in the mountain area of Bedugul, north part of Tabanan Regency and 1000 meters above sea level.
This temple is surrounded by the water that can be accessed by using traditional boat. It is one of the famous places of interest in Bali can be visited on Bedugul Tour and you can discover the complete page about Ulun Danu Temple on this site.
Ulun Danu Temple is a Balinese Hindu Temple located at Candi Kuning countryside, Baturiti sub district and Tabanan regency. The distance from Denpasar town is about 50 km north side the way from Denpasar to Singaraja. It is set at lakeside of Beratan with beautiful lake view and hills surround it. It is situated in the plateau area with cool atmosphere surround it and hills as a backdrop.
We can find at north side of this temple is Pucak Sangkur mount, in the eastside there is Beratan Mount which also referred as Pucak Mangu or Pucak Pangelengan, in the south side there is Terate Bang Mount and in the Westside there is Tapak Mount and Watukaru Mount.
The Story and Philosophy
The name of Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is taken from the lake where the temple is built at Beratan Lake. The name of Beratan Lake is inseparable with the Beratan Mount as Deity and Goddess as fertility source, prosperity to keep the prosperity in life and society life. In papyrus chronicle of the Mengwi, this temple is referred as the name of Parhyangan ri pinggiring danu Beratan (sanctum located in lakeside of Beratan Lake ). Ulun is come from Hulu word meaning head or power and in this case is intended by Ulun Danu Beratan means power of Beratan Lake that is Danu Goddess.
Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is consisted of 4 temples complex that are:
- Lingga Petak Temple owns the function to worship the Siwa God
- Penataran Pucak Mangu Temple is referred this gate as Parhyangan ri pinggiring rawa Beratan or Danu Beratan Temple is founded by I Gusti Agung Putu to worship the Hyang ing Parwata or Deity which is placed in Pucak Mangu that is Bhatara Hyang Danawa as according to papyrus of Padma Bhuwana and Usana Bali, because Mangu Mount is located in north direction, hence it is called the Bhatara Hyang Danawa or Wisnu God
- Terate Bang Temple is functioning to worship of Brahma God
- Dalem Purwa Temple is functioning to worship of Danu Goddess which is considered to be miraculous of the Bhatara Hyang Danawa or Laksmi Goddess.
In Papyrus Chronicle of the Mengwi is elaborated by the history of Ulun Danu Beratan Temple founding together with existence of the Mengwi Empire. Therefore its status is pertained with the secondhand of Temple Empire what is usually pertained as Dang Kahyangan. It is the same to the description in papyrus of Usana Bali and Padma Bhuwana, hence Puncak Mangu Temple where the Panyawangan (representative place to worship) is the Ulun Danu Beratan Temple. So it is called by entire Balinese residents as Kahyangan Jagat (The Biggest Group of Hindu Temple in Bali).
The temple ceremony execution at Ulun Danu Beratan Temple is consisted of two types those are:
- The temple ceremony which is executed every six-month (210 days) that on Anggara (Tuesday) Kliwon Julungwangi (Base on Balinese Hindu calendar). Every 12 months (420 days) is executed by the bigger ceremony from the ordinary ceremony, so-called Piodalan Agung.
- Pakelem ceremony is executed at any times as according to situation and condition. The Pakelem ceremony owns the function to worship the supremacy and also cheapness of the infinite for award of life, fertility, prosperity, as impact of the existence of ecosystem balance so that give the benefit for life and universe life forever and ever, during Beratan Lake and Beratan Mount stand up.
Ulun Danu Temple Beratan is opened for Visitors
If we look into the location, this temple is located in Beratan lakeside and it was the unique Bali Temple which are now many tourists paying a visit to this place. It is situated in the plateau area and surrounded by cold weather and owns the magnificent view which makes impression for every visitor. It is strategically located beside the main road from Denpasar to Singaraja. It is very easy to locate this temple by following the main road with the good access. You may also join Bedugul Tours or Singaraja Tour to visit this beautiful temple.